IT support staff monitor and maintain a company's IT systems and networks. You can install and configure computer systems, diagnose hardware and software failures, and resolve technical issues and application issues either by phone or in person.
Depending on the size of the organization working as a technical support professional, your role may include one or more departments.
Businesses increasingly rely on information systems in all areas of operations and decision-making. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure the proper functioning and maintenance of computer systems.
The titles of your job may vary. Alternatives include:
- Specialist for on-demand assistance
- Support operator
- Maintenance engineer
You can also work on the first or second helpline. This paper refers to how information systems are used, how to apply technical knowledge about hardware or software.
IT Technical support roles and responsibilities: IT technicians are primarily responsible for the smooth operation of the information systems and ensure that users make the most of it. Individual tasks vary depending on the size and structure of the organization. In general, however, you must do the following:
- Install and configure operating systems and hardware applications
- Monitoring and maintenance of computer systems and networks
- Talk to colleagues or clients about a range of actions, either face-to-face or over the phone, to help you set up systems or troubleshoot issues.
- Repair system and network problems, diagnose and repair hardware or software errors
- Replace parts as required
- Assistance, including procedural documentation and relevant reports
- Follow the diagrams and written instructions for troubleshooting or configuring a system
- Support in the introduction of new applications
- Configure accounts and profiles for new users and resolve password issues
- respond to calls within agreed deadlines
- continually work on a task until it is completed (or send it to third parties if necessary)
- Prioritize and manage many open cases simultaneously
- Quickly establish good cooperation with clients and other professionals, such as software developers
- Test and evaluate new technologies
- Perform electrical safety checks on computer equipment.
The average starting salaries for IT support can be between 17,000 and 23,000 GBP.
After gaining around experience, you may be able to earn £ 26,000 to £ 35,000.
Technical support managers can earn over 40,000 pounds.
Salaries for IT support work vary greatly depending on the job level, experience, and size of the employer.
The income data are indicative only.
Because of the nature of the job, you may be expected to work shifts or on-call, and you may need to work overtime to complete an assignment.
Part-time employment opportunities are not common in many large organizations due to the work plan, but are possible in some smaller companies. There are opportunities for self-employment in managing repairs and upgrades for households or small businesses, although this market is shrinking.
Career breaks are rare as certain software and operating systems are constantly changing.
What to expect
Often, there is pressure to work as fast as possible to solve problems and achieve immediate results in all situations, either to ensure minimal loss of manufacturing or customer contact time, or to allow employees to use their equipment. again the computer.
As a rule, considerable contact with the customer is required.
If you are responsible for hardware or networking, you may need to capture, transport, and tear devices to access objects in awkward locations. The dress code is rather casual and reflects the physical nature of the work. In general, however, you must adhere to an appropriate standard of intelligence.
Travel on weekdays is sometimes required and may be required at short notice.
A nocturnal absence from home may be required, and a trip abroad is only occasionally required.
Also read: freelance tech work